There is something special to be said about our fashion week [FLLFW] here in the humbly glamorous Fort Lauderdale area. The boast-worthy yachting capital of the world effortlessly maintains a down-to-earth attitude & I would be remiss in not mentioning the local love of quality champagne mixed with oceanfront lifestyle. If you're interested in attending next year, here are some tips :)
We respect a healthy use of...you guessed it SUNSCREEN! I was booked all weekend except Sunday so rooftop vibes were on the menu for the #fllfw event I refused to miss. Nobody can escape the uv rays in the sunshine state and protecting your skin is sooo en vogue
2. Don't be afraid to make a fiercely bold fashion statement. There's no space for the meek at fashion week! That outfit & shoes you ordered with no special place in mind is just perfect. Dust it off ;)
3. If you own a cute fan, I'm gonna say go ahead & squeeze it into your cute little tory burch fanny pack. You can thank me later.
4. Be on the look out for Designers who match your current style aesthetic. We're talking tailor made people, it literally gets no better :)
5. If you see something you like, TALK TO THE DESIGNER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!! I'm a New Yorker so I talk to everybody. We don't have to be crammed into a sardine can of a subway car to meet interesting people!
6. Take lots of photos & tag the creatives you meet since at Fort Lauderdale Fashion Week you are guaranteed to be surrounded by creative genius in some capacity at any given moment. Your perfect #usie and #selfie moments await.
7. Get a selfie or full body photo on the official event "step & repeat" aka red carpet. Maybe you will even get it reposted with the proper hashtags. These memories are literally everything.
8. It's actually ok to smile :) although South Florida is gingerly climbing the fashion capital ladder, we are not in Paris Helllloooooo. A warm smile & eye contact can open important doors for your network.
9. Go with the flow of the day. I mean, if you play your cards properly, you should be dressed for anything. Who knows, you might even meet the love of your life.
10. Have fun! One thing only is guaranteed, you will be engulfed in creativity. Allow yourself to stay present & enjoy it to the fullest. Who knows, you may even get inspired to follow your passions.